Friday, December 7, 2007

Cooking with Tony

Friday I went to P-town to learn some family secrets... Kitchen secrets that is.
Papa bear showed me the ropes on Pizza Gaine, Pecan cookies, Peanut balls, and a surprise edition as well. It was pretty cool to see the recipe cards that were all in Grandma's hand writing. Dad and I had planned on doing this for a while. Dad looks at it as a sort of torch passing in a way. Mostly because Dad questions his longevity- I don't plan on taking the baking to my kitchen for a long time- I can tell how happy he is for this X-mas to be here being a Grandpa- The house is all done up and there is a total excitement in the air for The Cali Gapps to come-We all can't wait-
I got to the house about noon and Dad and I baked for six hours.
Madona my back is killin me.

Prior to the baking I was playing with the dough

Shrek?

Pecan cookies balled up and in the oven-

Then we sift them through powdered sugar.

Thats right ladies and gentlemen, the notorious Strawberry Squares are making a comeback this year!

The story goes that one X-mas Uncle Bob Ryske jokingly told Dad that the Strawberry Squares were burnt(or they were bland?)... So this pissed Dad off(nobody challenges the Hammers culinary skill) Dad refused to make them ever since... But recently Dad was visited by three spirits and had a change of heart and now he has an english accent... God bless us everyone!

I made the second batch

Prepping the stuffing for the Pizza Gaines.

The oven got a workout today.

My first batch.

Not Dad's first batch

All wrapped up, in total Dad and I made 12 loafs of Pizza Gaine, 4 sheets of pecan cookies, 3 lbs of peanut butter rice krispy treats, 2 batches of strawberry squares, aaaaannnnnddda a Partridge in a Tear tree-

2 comments:

THE GTEAM said...

Holy Cannoli.

I was cracking up, Chris, reading this. Way to document the whole thing. You can now publish a family book book with illustrations and everthing. Wish I could have been there.

You are quite-a clev-a at the blogging my friend. Quite-a funny.

aj

THE GTEAM said...

Shrek made me laugh out loud. That looks like it was so fun!
:)Wendy