Sunday, September 30, 2007

Shannon McNamara



I got an E-mail from an old friend Frank. He told me that a site had been launched for my friend Shannon who was raped and murdered in 2001. www.shannonMCNamara.com Some of my family met her when i was in college. Check out the site if you want. I have read all the stories about it. She has inspired a book and a national organization call GIRLS FIGHT BACK. Her story led to the first and only Ju-Jitsu self defense for women in Newark, New Jersey.(Her college roommate was from there) Since her death in 2001 Girls Fight Back has helped thousands of woman fight off would be attackers. Cowards and scum of the earth like Anthony Mertz who sneak into peoples homes at night and rob them of their lives. He is on death row and will be executed in 2010. Not soon enough if you ask me.
It is truly a sad story, but Like Shannon always did you find the good in every situation no matter how awful they are. Shannon's Mom, Cindy told me at the funeral
that now Shannon is an angel looking over all of us... In a way she really is in that she has motivated women to "Fight Back" so that is a good thing.
The pic is one I took of her and my "Girl" friend from high school, Maureen Haas at one of my track meets.

1 comment:

The Timmons Family said...

Hey cuz, small world - didn't know you knew Shannon. I work with a woman that I have become very good friends with - he daughter was one of Shannon's best friends. She got married this weekend and on every place setting there was a card stating that instead of wedding trinkets, they had donated money on behalf of each guest to the Girls Fight Back organization -its a small world - sad story, good cause, great to see that things in life touch us all